Social Security Application Checklist:
In order to establish or renew Social Security numbers, the attached SS-5 form must be filled out. Please note that Social Security does not accept the DS-2029 form any longer (as of November 17, 2006).
When the applicant has never been issued a Social Security Number and is under the age of 12 he/she needs to present the following:
- SS-5 filled out by one of parents (usually the Amcit parent with a Social Security number)
- The child's certified copy of the birth certificate (certified only by the U.S. Consular officer)
- The child's certified copy of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
- The child's certified copy of the non-expired U.S. passport.
- The signing parent's certified copy of their non expired passport.
If child is 12 years or older, they must fill out an additional questionnaire, available at the US Embassy, which will also be certified by the U.S. Consular officer. This questionnaire should be sent together with the aforementioned documents.
Embassy Kigali forwards the applications on to Embassy Rome's regional Federal Benefits Officer.
Useful links to Social Security: